Thursday, August 24, 2006

Black Bean Couscous Cakes


Today for lunch I made another one of my sister's recipes. I have been eye-balling this one for a while, but wasn't sure if I would like it, so I stalled on making it. Too bad...all that time wasted being afraid of a recipe! It is easy, fairly light, very yummy and nutritious.

















Black Bean Couscous Cakes

1 can (drained) or 2 cups cooked black beans
1 cup cooked couscous
1/2 small red onion, chopped
3/4 cup blue corn flakes (I didn't have blue flakes, so I just used regular corn flakes)
1/2 TBSP fresh garlic, minced
1 1/2 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP fresh chopped cilantro
1 small roma tomato, chopped
1/4 tsp. chili powder
squeeze of lemon
fresh pepper
kosher salt

Mash all ingredients together in a bowl.
















Refrigerate for an hour until cool. Form into patties and saute in canola or olive oil until golden brown.

I found that they were a little dry as I formed the patties, so I added a bit more oil. They still were a little fragile in the pan, but if you are careful, they can still come out nicely shaped, or you can just smoooosh them back together as they cook. Top with salsa, guacamole, vegan sour cream, or just eat them plain with a big squeeze of lemon on top they way I did. I might try this recipe again, and add a few more veggies...maybe some spinach and grated carrot. This lunch beat the last few lunches I've made for myself...I have had one too many Teddy Grahams lately. Ugg.

8/25 Update
I made this for lunch again, and after trying desperately to keep them in their patty-shape with no luck, I gave up and just dumped it all in the pan and browned it up like a hash. I actually think it was better this way, and I ate every single speck of it.

Comments:
Hi, Brooke!

I wandered over here from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen and just wanted to say "Hi" and tell you I LOVE your blog!! I have been working at converting my family to a vegan diet for about a year now and contemplating starting a blog, but yours is just like I wanted mine to be, well, if you added on 3 kids (but so much cooler and funnier than mine would have been, I'm pretty sure) so I will just wait on that little endeavor and enjoy visiting yours! :)

Shelly
 
Hey islandgirlshell! Thanks for visiting my blog, and I am so glad you find my humor enjoyable! Keep coming back, ya hear?!
 
I'm not usually fond of couscous but perhaps this would be a good way to incorporate it into my diet. Patties work so well for just about anything!
 
MMMM...and thanks for the seitan recipe. :) i'm marinading as we type .
 
that looks SO good!
 
WHat a great couscous idea.
 
These look really good...I think I'd try it with quinoa, seeing as how I never have couscous in the house...
 
mmm i made this but used red pepper instead of tomato..added some gorgonzola cheese...which makes it not vegan but still...thanks for the recipe!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]